Friday, January 16, 2015

Working on Christmas Cards For 2015

Good morning everyone.  I don't really do New Year's Resolutions but I did sort of promise myself I would work on Christmas cards all through the year.  So today is my first card.

I made a 41/4 X 5 1/2 sized card and used a embossing folder by Anna Griffin. The picture of the bird is one I found online and printed on my printer.  I used a technique with Ultra Thick Embossing Powder where you have several layers of the UTEE and then you place the piece in the freezer for 45 minutes and when you take it out you just bend it and it cracks.  You can then use some Ranger Distress Ink to go over the piece and it gets down into the cracks giving it a more aged look.  Then just take a piece of paper towel and gently rub off the Distress Ink and what went down inside the cracks stays there.

When you are doing the embossing powder just do the first layer like you normally do and then while it is still hot, sprinkle more powder; heat it up and keep adding more layers.  I did 6 layers on my piece.  This is a technique I love and need to visit it more often.


The close up shows part of the cracking...sorry about the photography. The gold pieces on the corners is from my new Spellbinders dies (Regal Frame)  I love the pretty pieces but it's delicate and hard to get the cardstock to release.  I'm trying different techniques trying to find one that will work for me.

Well that's it for me this morning.  I hope your day is a good one!

14 comments:

Dee in N.H. said...

Gorgeous! What a perfect image for this technique!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Your cracked piece looks wonderful. Good for you with getting a jump on 2015!

Nan G said...

Gorgeous! I love this technique and had forgotten it. Thanks for the reminder. Hugs

craftieodmae said...

Beautiful, love the technique of cracked glass............

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Glenda,

What a beautiful card. The embossing technique sounds really interesting. It would be neat to do as it looks different every time.

I need to find out when Downton Abbey comes on here. One of the deskers had a bit about the last episode and I couldn't help myself and read about it. Then I was bummed that I did.

I will be putting your calendar in the mail tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it!

Hugs,
Kay

Sylvia said...

What a pretty card, Glenda, love the printed bird and the embossing! Happy Friday!

Lenoria said...

Such a pretty card and congratulations on actually getting a jump start on the Christmas cards! I said that I needed to make at least 1 or 2 a week this year so I would not be rushing to get them done (like this year) by the time I need to send them out, but it hasn't happened with me.

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my gosh! I love what you did with the picture! Cracked glass has always been one of my favorite techniques, not that I do many techniques, but I love that one. The embossing and the gold are gorgeous, and all that beauty on a flat card. Well done, Glenda! A great start on 2015 Christmas cards!

Patricia said...

Hello Glenda,
Liked the idea of this on your work desk.
Seeing on your beautiful creation, I LOVE it.
Might just have to have a go at this technique
Have a good day

Patricia x

Mary Ann said...

WOW!! Beautiful card,thanks for sharing!!!

Donna said...

Glenda, this is gorgeous! You did a wonderful job with the cracked glass technique. I have never been very successful with trying that so I kind of avoid that technique. Your's is truly awesome. I admire your skill in this card. Happy weekend!

Darlene said...

GORGEOUS! I should 'promise' myself to do the same thing so I'm not so frantic come the end of the year! This is beautiful Glenda! LOVE that embossing folder and the sweet bird image in the cracked glass design is perfect! Wonderful inspiration ... thanks!
Stay warm!

Linda W. said...

Beautiful card Glenda - I love how your folders come out so deep and strong. I have done that UTEE technique with regular embossing powder and it works but the UTEE is best.

Sharon said...

Hi Glenda: Your cracked glass technique came out beautifully! I must revisit this as well.

I noticed your comment about you having a hard time getting the cardstock to release in your dies. I came across this video on Youtube. I have a lot of detailed doily dies and I can promise this technique works perfectly- save a ton of time instead of poking out all the cut bits. Hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCKaBy116v0

Stamping Hugs,
Sharon